by Jan Gunter
“I don’t know what we would have done without you.”
It’s a simple thing to say, and yet, I am amazed at how many times I hear a family use those exact same words of thanks. And I always say, “That’s why we’re here.”
And that’s also why so many families find ways to give back, like participating in the Lights of Love 5K and Kids’ K coming up on December 2.
Check out these six families who are raising money to ensure that other families will have the same supportive care they have received when they needed it most.
- Running with the Rebel has raised almost $2,500 and has 26 team members. You may remember their family story from last year when their twins were born prematurely. Baby Ryder is now one and will be at the 5K along with big brother Cael. I wonder if they’ll have their dog with them again this year?
2. Allie McCann’s daughter was in the NICU for two weeks, during which time they found support at the Ronald McDonald Family Room. Their team, MJD has raised over $2,200 and has recruited 21 members.
3. Stephanie Rodriguez recently shared this note on our Facebook page: “Lights of Love is now a tradition for all our family and friends. Each year we get bigger and bigger and we get to raise money for a wonderful organization who helped my family when we needed it and who has helped many more families. Ya’ll are our families angels.” Visit their team page: All in the Name of Faith.
4. And check out Caleb’s Army. Caleb received life-saving care in Cincinnati, where they were fortunate to stay at the Ronald McDonald House. Caleb’s mom said, “They took care of us so we could take care of him.”
5. Clayton’s Miracle is all about Clayton Smeltzer’s devastating accident and amazing recovery and the support they received at the Ronald McDonald House during some scary days. You’ll be hearing more about this family soon!
6. Not every family gets the miracle for which they hope. The returning Jakealopes run in memory of little Jake who fought a good fight with a heart transplant but sadly died in 2005.
Check out all the team pages where you will find many more families, friends and supporters raising money for other families. You can join them in helping relieve the burden of childhood illness on families by donating to one of their pages or registering today for this really awesome Austin event.
I don’t know what we would do without you!